Where Does It Go?
- International Paper (Salt Lake City, UT): The steel (tin) is sold locally and recycled into new cans.
- Sutta (Wilmington, CA): The steel (tin) often goes to Northern Utah where Western Metal has a factory and can melt it and use it to make other products.
- The steel industry's annual recycling saves the equivalent energy to electrically power about 18 million households for a year. Every time a ton of steel is recycled, 2500 pounds of iron ore, 1000 pounds of coal and 40 pounds of limestone is preserved.
- Every day Americans use enough steel and tin cans to make a steel pipe running from Los Angeles to New York... and back. If we only recycle one-tenth of the cans we now throw away, we'd save about 3.2 billion of them every year.
- The average American throws out about 61 lbs. of tin cans every month.
- About 70% of all metal is used just once and then discarded. The remaining 30% is recycled. After 5 cycles, one-fourth of 1% of the metal remains in circulation.
- Recycling steel and tin cans saves 74% of the energy used to produce them.
- Americans use 100 million tin and steel cans every day.
- Americans throw out enough iron and steel to supply all the nation's automakers on a continuous basis.
- A steel mill using recycled scrap reduces related water pollution, air pollution and mining wastes by about 70%.